Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Well That's A Novel Idea

Six or seven years ago, over dinner, I told my Dad of my plan to write a book.

It would be letters from the writers that made me want to read about the books that made them want to write.

I dreamed of the idea of sending letters to the authors of my favorite books {or to their remaining family members} asking them to reply with a list of the books that encouraged them to become writers. In my dreams, I would compile the wonderfully articulate, often witty, sometimes handwritten letters in a book--each laying side-by-side with an explanation of why this author {and his or her work} is included in my list of favorites. 

Can you imagine reading Fitzgerald's list of the books that influenced his writing? Or the authors that help to shape the creativity of Roald Dahl?

This, to me, is brilliance. This is a book I would want to read.

Turns out, I'm not the only one...
I saw this today on Cup of Jo: My Ideal Bookshelf is a book in which one hundred of the leading cultural figures share their favorite books.
I'm looking forward to reading through this book...and as a result, adding to my list of books to read.
And, who knows, maybe someday my literary dream will become a reality.

No comments: