Sunday, January 01, 2012

2011 Questions

The end-of-the-year survey tradition continues for a fifth year.

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

1) What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
Worked for Matt McGill. Worked alongside Ryanne, Bre, Luke, Jon and Torie. Went to the Grand Canyon. Visited Harry Potter Land in Florida. Played Settlers of Catan (subsequently won Catan and built a giant Catan board.) Made every Christmas gift I gave. Gave announcements in Mariners main service. Bowled over 120. Golfed with my Papa. Learned to live on a budget (which includes paying for two different car repair trips without making a parent phone call.) And (how could I forget?!) I smashed out a car window with a giant metal pole. (Dig. It.)

2) Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I've made the same resolution for the last six years: be smarter. I'm fairly certain that I have finished each year a little wiser...and a little smarter.

I've made some plans for 2012 resolutions, but I'm not so sure about posting them just yet...I need a few weeks of success under my belt before I go public with them.

3) Did anyone close to you give birth?
Katie Hunt had a pretty sweet new kid. So did Wendy. Katie and Ron adopted a pretty sweet kid, too!

4) Did anyone close to you die?
Not technically in 2011, but I did lose a friend on January 1, 2012.

5) What countries did you visit?
Kenya. (Gosh, wouldn't it be great if this were the answer every year?!)

6) What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A more gentle spirit. And a more tender heart.

7) What date(s) from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February 14th: I went golfing with my Grandpa and cousin Logan. September 11th: Played giant Catan. October 25th: HP Land.

8) What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Crossing several items off my 30 Things list

9) Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nope. Neither of those.

10) What was the best thing you bought?
I bought a star gazer...that gave us a few evenings of loud laughter.

11) Whose behavior merited celebration?
Our HSM Kenya Team was incredible this summer.

12) Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I'm still not crazy about sex traffickers.

13) Where did most of your money go?
Rent. Food. Gas. You know, awesome grown-up things.

14) What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Taking a second vacation with Katie. Working with some really good friends.

15) What song/album will always remind you of 2011?
Brooke Fraser's "Flags". Bon Iver, John Mark McMillan, Gungor

16) Compared to this time last year, are you:
Wiser? Yes. Healthier? Yes. Richer? I'd prefer to say I'm a better saver this year.

17) What do you wish you'd done more of?
Piano lessons. Exercise. Host dinner parties.

18) What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worry about meeting the expectations of others.

19) How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas service. Christmas gifts. Chili bar. LOTS of desserts. Four parties in three days.

20) Did you fall in love in 2011?
Maybe a little bit.

21) What was your favorite TV program?
Breaking Bad. Friday Night Lights. The Walking Dead.

22) What was the best book you read?
The Book Thief. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. The Imperfectionists.

23) What was your greatest musical discovery?
Jascha Heifetz.

24) What did you want and get?
To work with Bre. An apartment next to Dom and Luke.

25) What did you want and not get?
A sparkly gold skirt.

26) What was your favorite film of this year?
Harry Potter. Inglorious Basterds (new to me in 2011.) Super 8.

27) What did you do on your birthday, and how old did you turn?
I turned 29. Katie and I went to Harry Potter World. (I feel like I've mentioned this before.)

28) Which celebrity/public figure did you like the most?
I'm pretty in to Ryan Gosling, but who isn't these days?

29) How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Lots of dresses...and tights...and flats.
I think the jean count for this year was less than 7.

30) What kept you sane?
Jesus.

31) Who did you miss?
My Kenyan friends. My London friends.

32) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Sometimes I can be wanted even if I'm not needed.

33) What did you gain this year?
Some wisdom. Some peace. Some weight.

34) What did you lose this year?
Some fear. Lots of hoarder-esque stuff.

35) Who was the best new person you met?
I feel like I've met a lot of people this year...so many that I really like. But if I had to choose one, I would choose my new friend Sara, who--after knowing me only 10 days--spent an entire day helping me move in to my new house...if that doesn't constitute "best", I don't know what does.

36) Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"Cheers to the friendships well worn in, that time nor distance alter. Cheers to the lessons not yet learned and to the trials that will teach them."

No comments: