Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Revolution

I have one shelf on my bookcase dedicated to books I'm going to read soon.

I just picked up The Revolution: A Field Manual for Changing Your World
(Edited by Heather Zydek)

I've only read the introduction, but read through tear-filled eyes.

"[...]societal ills of all kinds are ever-present and great. But greater is the love that can overcome these ills. If God is love, and if we are made in His image and likeness, surely there is enough love in this world to wipe away every tear that falls from the eyes of those afflicted by pain, hunger, war, or some other misery."

"The Revolution is meant to be a concise handbook that points people in the direction of action; where you go from here depends on how motivated you are to learn about the many different ills that plague our world."

"But as Mother Teresa said, 'I hope you are not giving only out of your surplus. You must give what costs you, make a sacrifice, go without something you like, that your gift may have some value before God. Then you will be truly brothers and sisters to the poor who are deprived of even the things they need.'"

I love it already...I'm sure this won't be the only time you hear about this...