Monday, March 19, 2007

My Adventurous Life (Pt 1 of 2)



Since I've returned from Kenya, I've been in need of some adventure. I have been trying my best to find it in small doses, and in the midst of my daily routine.

Last night, after watching E.T.--The Extra Terrestrial, we (the room-full of people) decided to meet up early this morning and go to the shooting range. You know--guns, ammo, targets, shells, etc.


I was mostly excited to wear the headphones and goggles...or "eyes and ears"...


When we arrived, Jared walked me through the loading and firing of the revolver. There was another man, two lanes over, shooting these huge somethings (maybe a Desert Eagle--like in Snatch)...and every time he shot (about every 15-seconds) I jumped...the first few times a small "squeal" came out with the jump.




I shot four different guns: a .38 Revolver, a 9mm SIG SAUER, a .45 Glock, and a .357 Smith & Wesson. All four felt like I was in a movie. Most of the time we were there I was thinking "Uma Thurman must love her job because this is so fun"...or... "I bet this is how Uma felt when she was filming Kill Bill".






Then it was time to actually load and fire the gun. I forgot to aim because I was concentrating so hard on remembering all of the steps: load, close (make sure you hear the click), always aim the gun away from you, check the safety, cock the gun--but you could also pull the trigger twice. I was supposed to be aiming at a silhouette target, but I hit the ceiling a few times...but my first few rounds I hit the back wall.

Toward the end of the morning, I was feeling pretty confident in my ability to follow all of the steps and not shoot myself in the foot. But I never was able to get the aiming down. One of the guns shot a huge flame when the bullet fired, and so I would close my eyes after pulling the trigger...Needless to say, I was a pretty inaccurate shot.

Kudos to Alanna, who is such a good shot that she actually hit a real person: Josh Garrett.



Thanks friends for my very fun, adventurous morning. Also, thanks to Brian for supplying facts and terms to keep me from sounding completely uneducated.

I was going to tell you about the rest of my adventurous day, but I will save that for tomorrow...since there are probably few of you still reading...

9 comments:

Alanna Moine said...

don't mess.

Josh(ua) Treece said...

So many guy sI went to high school with would be drooling over you if they heard this story. Why is the whole thing in bold?

Matt Jensen said...

you should buy a gun for when you have to be alone in your house...i bet you'd feel a whole lot safer.

Julie Hibbard said...

Yikes!!! And I thought I was tough for unclogging my drain!!
You win! Wow...you and Uma...
Don't mess with Allison!!!

Jaime said...

I agree, it's clearly time you bought a 12 gauge shotgun!

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

Ohh how I wish I had EVERY Monday off to hang out with you...I guess once a month will have to do! LOL!

E.Money said...

just remember who TOLD you that Uma carries a gun...

ok i'm just jealous of how cool you look in these pictures.

Brent said...

You should have called. I would have brought my gun and joined you. Although then Alanna might have shot me and I wouldn't like that.

Just make sure you don't hit a ceiling light. They aren't cheap, and the staff gets pissed.

Josh_ewe_a said...

I'm still SO pissed that I got shot by Alanna. Oh well, it wasn't that big of a wound. Alanna, you better watch your back still!!! I had a lot of fun. Thanks y'all.