Saturday, March 31, 2007

I Love My Boss


I know this sounds strange...but it does not say that I am in love with my boss...I just love having him as my boss...and my friend.

I suppose I should start by telling you I love my job. I don't just enjoy my job--I love it. I wake up early, excited to go in to work. I love to think about my next project. I love to tell people about what I'm working on...I love my job.

I love the team I work with. We laugh together, we enjoy each other's company. My team knows me--my good and bad--and has the ability to roll with the crazy and hang with the fun. I love that.

I love my boss. I love feeling appreciated. I feel like he has allowed me to find my place. I feel like a valued part of the team. He allows me to make decisions, he is "okay" with all (most--okay some) of the times I push back. He admits when he is glad that I pushed back. He doesn't settle for mediocrity. He is a phenomenal communicator; to students, to adults, to his staff...in times of joy, frustration, sadness. He is so wise...even when I have a plan, I run the ideas by him because I know things are better with his input. Despite my inability to put my youth, my quick-to-anger spirit, my emotional girl stuff aside, he treats me as an equal. And I am grateful for that.

I mentioned to him about a month ago that I wanted to blog about the message he gave at a memorial service at Saddleback. As I sat, waiting to sing, I could not help but think, "wow--he's a great teacher...and he's my boss." I was distracted by other events and never made it to blogging about it.

Then, this week, I re-realized how much I appreciate him. He had read my blog (searching for his shout-out) and came across my post about moving to Kenya. After a somewhat awkward initial conversation...he was in a very feisty, smart-aleck mood...I was nervous about any future conversations we might have on this topic. Then, the next day, we sat talking about the budget, and switched over to my moving away...and we had such an encouraging conversation. I walked out feeling like my boss, my friend, supported me...now, he may not love that I'm leaving--and he may not even endorse a 6-month departure--but he will support me in my passion for this...he will support my following where God leads. And I can appreciate that...

All this to say, I love my job. I love my team. I love my boss...
Any chance I could move all of this with me to Kenya?

4 comments:

Alanna Moine said...

DEFINITELY agreed! I also have the greatest BossES...Taffy AND Kurt!

Julie Hibbard said...

I agree too! Kurt is one in a million. Truly one of the most genuine and down to earth people I have ever known. So happy that you get to work with him...he's a lucky guy too!

E.Money said...

i have to agree..kurt is pretty great to work for!!! :)

Allie said...

How cool to love your boss and love your job :)