Saturday, March 31, 2007

"You may be only popular--to you"*

What makes someone "popular"?

My friend, Ryanne, and I were laughing about popularity a few weeks ago and I kinda can't stop thinking about it...

We went to a friend's party and as we walked up I was thinking "Wow, we're the coolest people here."

In most rooms, I would feel like a total nerd...so what made this place different?

And, even though there are people who think I'm really fun...there are still people who think I'm nerdy and not cool enough to hang with...and though I am aware of this happening to me, I am totally guilty of this behavior...why?

This boggles my mind...

*When my mom was young, she wrote a song called "Popular". My favorite line is: "You may be only popular--to you"

3 comments:

Ryanne said...

Your mom wrote a song?!?!? I need to hear it.

Julie Hibbard said...

I am sure Allison can sing that incredible song to you...YIKES!
Can you imagine why I "wrote" such a song? I was THE most unpopular person in the universe at that point!!
I made the mistake of sharing that sorrow with my children and I have been made fun of since.
I'm kidding. It's a horrible "song". Sung into my red Panasonic tape recorder in 1973 or 74.
My last attempt at song writing...
but a great family joke for years.

Brent said...

I must hear this song.