Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving #1-4

I will eat 5 Thanksgivings this year.
I have eaten 4 so far...

Here they are in review...

#1--Student Ministries Staff Thanksgiving, Tuesday
Food: Claim Jumper, pretty delicious...
Best Food Item: Biscuits
Company: Really fun...a room with those people is always full of laughter
Length: Being that it was a work-day, during an already short week, I had to rush out to get some stuff done...but it was a descent length.
Conversation: Eh, it was actually mostly about Thanksgiving plans...and almost everyone said the same thing...I'm sure I sound rude, but it was kind of boring.
Surprise Twist: Rick Warren and Glen appeared toward the end...and stole the show...

#2--JH Small Group Thanksgiving, Tuesday
Food: Potluck, and really delicious.
Best Food Item: Mashed Potatoes and Gravy (well done, Rachel J)
Company: The girls are totally fun...a little crazy and loud...they tend to talk over each other, but tons of energy made for a fun night.
Length: An hour and a half...I had already eaten one Thanksgiving, so I was pretty tired when this one was over...
Conversation: We chatted about being thankful for your family...including them in your daily life...Sue gave her testimony about her relationship with her mom...it was really cool to hear so many different perspectives on family interactions.
Surprise Twist: Gulliver's Corn. It looked like corn soaked in milk...but one of my girls brought it, so I felt like I had to taste it...surprisingly good.

#3--My family (one side) Thanksgiving, Thursday
Food: Balboa Bay Club set-menu; crab salad, lobster bisque, turkey dinner, apple cobbler
Best Food Item: Lobster Bisque--anytime I can eat that, I'm excited.
Company: My dad, brother and Grandparents...and Matt--continuously interesting conversation...my brother is really great at keeping conversation flowing...it was really very fun.
Length: About 2 hours. The food and Diet Coke kept coming, it was a good amount of time...we may have stayed longer, but we had to rush to Matt's house. Perfect length.
Conversation: All over the board, LOST, the screenplay my brother is writing, his upcoming Italy trip, my dad's race car classes, my Grandparent's remodel...
Surprise Twist: My Grandma rolling her eyes at the number of times my aunt and uncle have seen Phantom of the Opera!

#4--Matt's entire family Thanksgiving, Thursday
Food: Home-made...and, though I was full from #3, I did sneak a bite of turkey and stuffing...really good stuff.
Best Food Item: Stuffing. Best I've had so far.
Company: Matt's parents, his mom's brothers and her mom, his brother and sister and their families, and me.
Length: About 6 hours. A long time...but it actually didn't feel that long...it was a relaxing 6 hours.
Conversation: All over the board, I spent a ton of time with the 3-year old boys that were there...SO fun. Then talked to his sister and sister-in-law...and his aunt...really easy, light consistent conversation.
Surprise Twist: I Love the '80s Trivia Game. Our team won! (Well done, Uncle John!) We laughed and had some pretty tense competition...but it was such a fun end to the night.


Okay, #5 is tomorrow at 4...I'll keep you posted.

No comments: