Thursday, September 07, 2006

Shaggy is a genius.


I'm not talking about this Shaggy.






I mean Shaggy as in "Mr. Boombastic". For those of you who just began to sing "...very fantastic..." in your head, let me explain. I am not making this statement based on his music.

His pure brilliance lies in his business strategy.

Look, this man turns out one hit single every year or so. And by doing so, he remains famous. He is then free to slip back in to the night with his pockets full of cash. When the funds are low...quick, write another hit!...and top of the charts again!

Honestly, he's been famous (in my world) since I was in 7th grade. (Boombastic)...so 1995ish? Since then he has released 6 songs that I can audibly recognize (of the 150 recorded Shaggy songs on iTunes).

That is 1 hit every 1.8 years (roughly). And as lame as they are, most adults between the ages of 16 and 45 would be able to sing a few lines from "It Wasn't Me" or "Angel" or "Luv Me, Luv Me" (Mr. Lover, Lover)...

I'm telling you, he is arguably as famous as Carlos Santana, (okay, maybe that's a bad example)...but he is pretty famous...and he has not needed to record as many albums...or mass amounts of ridiculous compilation duet CDs.

And furthermore, he has not needed to reinvent himself with culture change. All of his songs sound the same...and nobody minds. They all head-bob along.

All I'm saying is, if I'm ever famous, I'm hoping to get some business (not musical) tips from Shaggy. Because that man is smart.

2 comments:

Alanna Moine said...

famous...yes.

respected...eh.

Leigh Sarti said...

caught red-handed...yes
bathroom floor...yes