Wednesday, August 20, 2014

What Made This Week Of Camp So Awesome: The Costumes

And now, the final installment of
What Made This Week Of Camp So Awesome
The Costumes

Though I am an avid fan of costume parties, I do not have the same excitement for camp themed-rec days. Last year, my friend Luke really outshone me in this department. 

This year, it was essentially handed to me when I found out we were Team Star Wars. I called my friend Sara, who owns a rarely-worn Jabba costume (I borrowed it a few years ago) and then I knew, I knew the way you know about a good melon, that this was the year that would make up for all other years of poor participation. 


Typically, the third night of camp is "Fancy Night" which students have hijacked and made "Date Night" which essentially means that one girl from my cabin and I would be the only two left out of the boy-girl-boy-girl pre-dinner photos and I would be left to tell that lone girl that "it wasn't a big deal" and "that nerdy freshman boy was forced to ask ____, so it didn't really count anyway..." It was painful. Every. Year.

Thankfully, this year, the staff switched things up and made Fancy Night in to 90's Night. 
^^ the invitation said to "dress like your favorite 90s Pop Star"and that's exactly what Jordan did

The girls in my cabin were hilarious: running around the room borrowing lipsticks and passing out scrunchies (which are, evidently, on sale in packs of 5 at Target) and stopping by my bunk to ask how to do their hair to match the 90s niche they were working toward.

Halfway through the 90-minute prep period, I began to look around the room and realize that each girl had, essentially, decided to dress as a specific memory from my elementary school years. Lauren was the first to dawn on me when I realized she was dressed exactly like "the coolest sixth grader at school" wearing "all of the things my mom wouldn't let me wear" (black knee-highs, dark eyeliner and a flannel around her waist.) Jazmine was dressed in an updated version of what I wore to a birthday party at Hard Rock Cafe when I was in 7th grade: a body suit with a big flannel open over it, jean shorts with bike short AND tights underneath, scrunched socks and boots. (An outfit inspired by something I saw on RoundHouse--incidentally, I'd like to have the blazer Crystal Lewis is wearing at 0:52 if anyone knows where to find one--which took me ten minutes to take off to go to the bathroom!)

^^ then there was Rylee...wearing my Mervyn's-purchased uniform from fifth to seventh grade: a baby doll dress. 

^^ Cheryl is a pro at the whole costume-thing (and partially responsible for the switching of the evening's theme) so, of course, her costume was incredible: Blossom (she carried around a photo of Joey Lawrence for most of dinner!)

^^ Austin won the costume contest with his perfectly 90s-look: a gross striped velour button-up shirt, that shark-tooth necklace and the purple-tinted skinny glasses. How in the world was this ever cool?!

I'm still waiting on some of the videos to be edited--hoping sometime I can post one of the highlights here...you know, for posterity.

No comments: