Monday, September 07, 2009

How I Spent My Summer Vacation {Part 1 of 3}

Over the past two months, God has been re-working my plan for my life.
Funny how that always happens.

I haven't been blogging much of any importance because so much has been happening internally, and I wasn't sure how to share it all here...so, now that it's {somewhat} sought-through, here's what's been happening:

I came home from Kenya very certain that I was meant to split each year between Kitale and Orange County. I spent a while grieving the loss of my initial plan: come home and live in Orange County, get a job, fall in love, have a life here. Don't get me wrong, I love Kitale and was {ultimately, though not without frustration} happy to shake-up my plans for God's. Especially since I have seen, time and time again, that His plans are infinitely better than mine could ever be.

I finally accepted and began to walk-toward God's plan. Or so I thought.

Around April, I began to volunteer in the Mariners Church College Ministry. They had been running a program with two male leaders, but no female. Yikes, that's tough.

God began to break my heart for these students. Each week I returned to the group and heard stories of abandonment, attempted suicide, loneliness, and a lack of belief in God's true love. Over time, I began to see that the same heart-break and depth of love I had come to know in Kitale, existed 20 miles from my own front door...

1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

Wow oh wow...
can't wait til part two