Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Number One! Number One!

Tonight, I watched the "Number One Film of All-Time" {according to the American Film Institute}: Citizen Kane.
I had some trouble staying awake through the first 15 minutes {though, I think it was my fault, not Mr. Kane's}...once I found a less comfortable position, I really enjoyed the rest.

I love to think about the originality of the camera angles and storyline. I loved the dialogue, especially these two lines {which are from two separate scenes}:
Charles Foster Kane: "You know, Mr. Bernstein, if I hadn't been very rich, I might have been a really great man."

Bernstein: "Old age. It's the only disease, Mr. Thompson, that you don't look forward to being cured of."

Check out handsome young Orson Welles:
And another great surprise: during the closing credits, they introduced a few of the actors who were "new to motion pictures"...including Agnes Moorehead. {If you grew-up in my family, you are now singing "And Agnes Moorehead as Endora!" to the tune of the last line of "Bewitched"}
I have to imagine that Agnes was so sad to be in forced in to lime green Technicolor when she remembers looking like this:
Agnes is also in an incredible episode of The Twilight Zone, but the photos were so creepy that I couldn't post one.

It seems funny to recommend Citizen Kane.
Duh, people love it...it raised the motion picture bar.
Rent it, or borrow it from your friend's parents; chances are, they own it. You don't need to.

3 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

That's the best movie ever! Look up on Wikipedia to find out more about why it is so important to SO many aspects of life! It's based on William Randolph Hearst's life--he went crazy over the movie--he hated it and refused to even carry the ad for the movie in his papers!
And the cinematography was breakthrough! It was the first time more than one camera was used...to get all the different angles!
The use of 'flashbacks' had never been done before either!
Wells was seriously genius!
The best to me is the theme of having everything in the world, yet wishing for the simple days of life...and his beloved Rosebud.
So glad you loved it...

TSHarrison said...

yes! great film. i was blown away by home much i enjoyed it.

yazz said...

I LOVE this movie. So much.