Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Beisbol Been Berry, Berry Good To Me...

I've posted before about my dislike for baseball...but I learned something tonight:

I only hate baseball from anywhere other than the third row.

My dad has Dodger Club seats for about 1/4 of the home games each year. I went with him once before (we figure it must have been 2003), but have never been interested in an encore.

Tonight, I thought it would be great to hang with my dad...baseball or no baseball...plus, free food? I'm in.

It was actually a really, really great night.

We made it up to LA really quickly so my dad offered a pre-game Starbucks-run. Done. Lucky for us, the Starbucks was in a laundromat/Subway/cell phone shop...We sat at this tiny, sticky table next to a ratty pay phone...If you know my dad, this will help you to picture this truly amazing moment.

We got to the stadium, saw Carson Daly (my dad was more excited than I was)...and ate some food: mini tostadas, Dodger dogs, turkey, grilled asparagus...yum...

The seats are directly behind home plate, three rows back...so you can see us during each pitch. I've never noticed how fidgety I am until I was thinking about how that might look on TV. We sat down to watch the baseball game.

Nine innings and one free ice cream later, it was still really fun...

When we got in the car to drive home my dad said, "I had all but given up on taking women to the game because I really can't enjoy it...but you were so easy and it was really fun" (Again, if you know my dad, you won't get a bigger compliment!)

We drove home and talked movies...and SNL sketches...and laughed a lot...

I kinda hope I get invited again (but only to third row seating)...

3 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

One thing I definitely miss about your dad is his undying love for baseball and the boys in blue. And, I am sure he'd tell you that he never minded taking me to games...
No peanuts and crackerjack? I guess Carson Daly is the trade off for that.
SO glad you got to experience what are no doubt among the best seats in the place.

PETE Di LALLO said...

Yes, but, I texted her three times asking that she waves to us but she said she wanted to look cool...and she didn't wave but looked very cool...

Anonymous said...

How can you HATE baseball when Julie is so obsessed??? You must be missing the "DiLallo baseball" gene!