Sunday, February 10, 2008

Bowling With the Homies

Tonight was a "Fun Night" for our JH small groups. The guys played a huge game of Dodgeball (which they have affectionately renamed "Kill Ball") while the ladies took over one of the two local bowling alleys for two hours of madness. This one requires you to leave a shoe when you check out the rentals, which I haven't done since I was maybe ten.

About half of my girls came to the event...it was really fun. We danced (a lot), and bowled until we could bowl no more.

At the end of the night, we had to turn our shoes in. I walk up with my right shoe, having forfeited my left shoe a few hours earlier.

I stood as the man helped about three dozen girls get their shoes...then he looked around for my match for a few minutes and said, "hold on, let me get a few more of these girls out of here."

So I waited. I waited until it was just me and the girls I was supposed to be driving home. (And Bethany, who was paying the bill...and the girls she was driving home.)

Finally, all three workers are searching for my shoe...and then they give up. The man says, "Alright. This happens, like, twice a year. Here's our policy: buy a new pair of shoes and bring back the receipt and we'll reimburse you."

So, I left my phone number. By this time we're friends so I said, "Please only call if you find my shoe...not to ask me on a date."

And then I said, "Oh, and could you please hold up my shoe so I can take a picture and blog about this? And could you make a face like 'I don't know where your shoe went!'?"

So...here's my new pal:

The other guy working there said, "Come bowling and get free shoes. Sweet!"

But, I was more focused on the fact that I would have to walk out of there in my white socks...shoe-less...through the nasty parking lot...sick. And, somewhere, someone has an extra left converse...greedy jerk!

7 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

You are the funniest thing ever! The description of this guy and what you asked him to do is hilarious! I LOVE this story. I thought for sure you were going to mention getting locked in the bathroom at the bowling alley when you were about six!
At least you'll get some new Jack Purcells out of the deal!

The Maguires said...

Here's your chance to get a pair of Manolo Blahniks paid for by the bowling alley! Take a picture of that guys face when you give him that receipt!

Luke St.Hilaire said...

i'm going to text you my comment about this

good title

Anonymous said...

That is funny

joshpease said...

How do you feel about having shoes SOOO cool that people will steal even just one of them, to capture some of the intrinsic coolness?

sunshine said...

i love you so much. and i miss you a lot. please hang out with me.

Jessica Torres said...

This story is so great...

and I really love how you just reminded me of Clueless :)