Saturday, January 19, 2008

Proverbs 22:6

As I sat in our Student Leadership meeting tonight looking around the room at students...some that I've spent a lot of time with, others whose families I know, and still others that I've really only heard stories of...

As I listened to the way they answered questions about spiritual disciplines, watched as they spent eight minutes in silent prayer, and thought about what it must be like to be a parent, a Bible verse popped in to my head. I didn't know the reference, but I know the verse by heart from a cassette I had as a kid to help memorize verses through song.

Proverbs 22:6
"Train up a child in the way he should go,
Even when he is old he will not depart from it."


I've seen kids who grow up in the church and then, as adults, walk away from their faith claiming that it was "forced upon them" or they were "brainwashed" into Christianity.

I have to be honest, this, in itself, makes me slightly nervous to have children. I understand that God plays the biggest role in life-change, and that, as a parent, we are merely to do our part and allow God to take over...

How does one raise a child to, at 12 years old, articulate his faith in the one true God?
How does one instill in a child the basic needs of others and cultivate compassion?
Where does the balance lay between "laying a biblical foundation" and "too much church"?
How does a parent "train up a child"?
Is there any guarantee that "he will not depart from it"?

I am years away from having children...but I'm guessing it's never too early to begin learning to be a good parent...

2 comments:

Michelle said...

It takes living your live honestly before God. If the child sees this then they will model it. If the child sees insincerity in the parents walk with the Lord they will see that and doubt. Good post! It's a good question to think about! :)

Jessica Torres said...

Wow...

I'm totally with you on this one...

I've thought about this many times.