Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I Buy A Book

I buy a book because I like the title.
I buy a book because I like the cover.
I buy a book because I've read other works by that author.
I buy a book because someone else has read other works by that author and enjoyed them.
I buy a book because a magazine I read said it was interesting.
I buy a book because, I think, by reading it, I will be smarter.
I buy a book because, I think, by owning it, I will appear smarter.
I buy a book because, I hope, by reading it, I will be a better youth worker.
I buy a book because, sometimes, the only thing that will make me feel better is the smell of a fresh, unopened book.
I buy a book because I hear that reading can prevent early-onset of Parkinson's.
I buy a book because there is an empty space on my shelf.
I buy a book because I need another "to do" list to cross off.
I buy a book because I love to be lost in a story.
I buy a book because, sometimes, I need a little distraction from what's going on in my own life.
I buy a book because I love to read.
I buy a book because, someday, I hope my kids (and my grandkids) will love to read, too.

7 comments:

Luke St.Hilaire said...

i buy a book because the other book i bought looked alot like the book i'm going to buy but wasn't the right one and now the lady at borders thinks i'm gay for returning "blue gay jazz"

Jim Ellis said...

i just read the book "into the wild." go read it..

PETE Di LALLO said...

brilliantly blogged!!!
This post really grabbed me...you are sooooooo goooood!
p.s. I have your next 'read'...
John Grisham has a new one out: "The Verdict"...haven't started it yet but you can be next...I know you like him...

Gina Vistaunet said...

I buy a book because Thatcher need RC points!!!

Heather Leith said...

OHH RC...

the most cruel and pointless way to torture a junior higher.

TSHarrison said...

I buy books because I think they make me look smart, all sitting on my bookshelves semi read.
I also buy books because my youth ministry professor preached, "It's cheaper to buy books than rent to u-hauls."

PETE Di LALLO said...

I'm no smarter than whatever...
Grisham's new book is called
THE APPEAL...