Sunday, October 07, 2007

Very Little Of Me...

I was just looking at some wedding photos of a girl I knew in high school...and it struck me: there is very little part of me that wants to have a traditional wedding...

At first I was thinking maybe I don't want a wedding at all, but that's not true. I do want to get married (eventually) and I do want to have a ceremony...but I don't want it to be just like every other wedding.

I think that's what draws me to the idea of getting married in Kenya...who has wedding photos like that? I'll tell you who: no one.

I love the idea of not having "cake cutting" photos (don't get me wrong, it's a very cute tradition, but so is eating chapati from Chipati Mary)'
I love the idea of getting married in a non-church setting.
I love the idea of the ceremony being performed in a thick accent.
I love the idea of dancing to an on-the-go playlist.

I know this may sound ridiculous...and I know that I will be happy to be married whenever and wherever...but isn't the day just that much more special when it's totally unique and specifically you?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I think that's what draws me to the idea of getting married in Kenya...who has wedding photos like that? I'll tell you who: no one."

Uh. Hello? What about all of the Kenyans who are married in Kenya???

Julie Hibbard said...

I love the idea of something totally unique. I worked 67 weddings over the last few months...different colors, different cakes, different dresses, but all basically the exact same. YES! Do something totally different, unique, interesting, personal and inexpensive! In the long run, the 6 hour wedding/reception means nothing anyway. It's what happens the next day and the next that means something.
Marry someone really nice. Nice covers a multitude of other things. And he'll want the same kind of wedding as you.
I look forward to dancing at your wedding someday.
Especially if it's in Kenya.

Gina Vistaunet said...

I wanted "All of My Love" by Led Zeppelin to play at my wedding, but Bum said no way. We had to have a Crystal Gale and Eddie Rabbit song instead. I think if Led Zeppelin was played, I would still be married. Please do what you want. My next wedding, I'm doing the drive thru in Vegas in a bikini with a beer in my hand. Very traditional, very me.

matt said...

We had about 30 closest family and friends and literally walked out on the beach and did a ceremony. Then everyone came back to our place, had snacks that we had all made and just hung out. That was 2 1/2 years ago and we are still glad we did it that way. Jen missed out on the dance with her dad, but that's about all we would to have liked to change. We did have great pictures though, that was our important thing. One thing though, you'll really find out who cares about you and who doesn't, from the people that disagree with un-traditional.

kayla rae said...

Whatever you decide to do, I want to be there! Especially if it involves chapati!