Saturday, May 05, 2007

Friendly Strangers

I have had two experiences in the last three days that have reminded me of how nice people are. These individuals have inspired me to smile at strangers, maybe even strike up conversations; thank you, kind sirs, I appreciate your kindness.

SCENE 1: Lunchtime, Thursday; Irvine.

Kurt, Katie, Ryanne and I are having lunch at Chick-Fil-A. In the midst of typical lunch conversation, we begin to chat about the previous night's LOST episode. Katie had yet to watch it. She admits to being about seven episodes behind. (Backstory: Katie had confessed her newfound love for Battlestar Galactica (I know...) and I had been teasing her about being such a nerd) I responded by saying "Why are you so far behing? And don't start with your Battlestar Galactica!" At this, the man sitting behind Kurt and Katie, with his back to us, turns completely around and laughs. I said, "Sorry!", assuming I was talking too loud and he desperately wanted to hush me. Instead, he says, "No, I love Battlestar Galactica!" and smiles again and turns back around. Because the three of us have not ever seen the show, Katie felt she had to defend her choice of entertainment. The friendly stranger turned around at least three more times to join our conversation; once at the mention of "frack".

SCENE 2: Late Night, Friday, Foothill Ranch
After Mariah and John's wedding, a few of us went to the movies. Since we came in during the previews, we had to sit two and two instead of four in a row. Alanna and I sat together, next to a man that was too large for one seat and thus, we sat armrest-less through all of two hours and twenty minutes of Spiderman 3. Near the end of the movie, the butler is revealing secrets to Harry Osborn (James Franco) about Harry's father's death. Alanna turns to me and says "Well that's some information that would have been more useful two years ago!" I laughed, because it was funny. And then the big guy next to me turns and laughs too. Alanna says "Sorry!" Again, thinking she was being disruptive. The man says, "No. That's what I was thinking!" And the three of us laughed together.

I love the idea of fun strangers. There are enough argumentative, rude people. It is so refreshing to have smiles and laughter with people I will never see again.

I want to be that kind of a stranger.

2 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

You are that kind of stranger. So am I. And my mother is the QUEEN of this kind of stranger. She knows everyone in line and is going to dinner with the cashier by the time she's finished at Target.
Fun blog!

Brent said...

I think that's the one day I didn't eat at Chick-fil-A this week.