Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Idol Gives Back

I have not watched a complete episode of American Idol this season.

Tonight, as I was heading to bed, I thought I would check it out. (There is a season pass on the upstairs Tivo.) The title was "Idol Gives Back", so I was intrigued.

The first few minutes of the show was a video of Simon Cowell and Ryan Seacrest in Africa. In a later video, they mentioned the area they had visited was Kisumu.

Kisumu is in Kenya. On the West side, near Kitale...

I know that Africa is big...I know that it is almost entirely in need of aid...but I couldn't help but be so thankful that they had chosen a place that I love so much.

I, of course, cried at the end of the episode. Beautiful faces, such joy.

How could I not want to move there and help to be the change?

How can you "be the change"?

5 comments:

PETE Di LALLO said...

Should your Kenya dream be realized Bum and I will help with financial 'change'in any manner...

Anonymous said...

Just finished watching the show and Wendy and I both thought of you. How funny that the one episode you watched was the Africa one.

Julie Hibbard said...

I will help you--gulp--go live there.

ali said...

wow, allison i can't believe you're going to live there! that's so unbelievably amazing and such a sweet opportunity. next time i see you in the office i want to hear about your plans!

Josh_ewe_a said...

Oh Allison...I loved this show. There were so many amazing moments: laughter from Jack Black singing 'Kiss From a Rose' by Seal, to Celine and Elvis Duet using technology that I have never seen, Carrie Underwood's video, Josh Groban and the African Children's Choir, and all of the countless videoes of children here in the US and over in Africa. My heart was filled with joy (from the fact that more and more people are becoming exposed to the poverty and hardship in Africa), sadness (from the faces of kids living and dying with AIDS), a longing (to be with the kids in Kenya again...missing them)... there was just so much emotion for me. I hope this is just a stepping stone for America and not just another thing to feel good about. I love you and your heart Allison and I am so excited that you feel called to move there. Sorry for such a long comment, I just have a lot going through my brain and heart.