Saturday, March 17, 2007

Sights, Sounds, Smells

I changed my perfume this week; the smell of the new perfume reminds me of when I spent a month in London. Every morning when I spray it, I can picture myself in the small flat above the church...and I remember all the fun Josh Peters and I had (and some of the un-fun, too).

When I was getting my nails done on Thursday, I heard a song on the radio that reminded me of Kenya. Freddy, one of the drivers, sat in the hotel lobby one night playing "Sad to say, I'm on my way. Won't be back for many a day. My heart is down, My head is turning around, I had to leave a little girl in Kingston town." Apparently it is called "Jamaica Farewell". Freddy played this little guitar with such soft confidence, and sang in this quiet, beautiful voice. I couldn't help but smile in the salon. I'm sure the woman thought I was crazy.

Also on Thursday, I heard an old Nelly song that I love so much. It made me think of such obscure people: the Chris Tomlin band, Sarah Washington and Chris Glinski.

I love that the smallest scent or sound or even an object can hold such large memories.

4 comments:

Leigh Sarti said...

I love Freddy. He is my favorite of all the drivers. He is kind of handy with the acoustic guitar too...

Julie Hibbard said...

Songs are the best for memories...I can hear a certain song and almost "be" back in a place and time with that song. Remember my "Journey" memory with the coke holders? STILL think of that every time...
Smells are the next thing, colognes, lotions, foods...
I think we have so many good memories anyway, these sounds and smells just enhance them!

Josh Peters said...

I miss those dank corridors.

andrea said...

I go back to 3rd grade church camp when I smell Aqua Net Hairspray. I was so jealous of the 5th grade girls who got to use it to plaster their bangs a foot high.