Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Elliptical Thoughts part 2

I was not thinking that this would make such a speedy return, but I had a funny gym visit tonight.

When I walked in, I handed the guy at the front desk my card. He scanned it and then smirked as he handed it back to me.
Me: "What are you laughing at?"
Him: "You are just making me smile."

Awkward.

So, I get on the elliptical machine and all I can think is "I wonder what he was laughing at." I kept thinking: Maybe there is something in my teeth? Maybe I have a huge booger? Maybe my hair is ridiculous looking? Maybe I have a big zit? Maybe my shirt is see-through?

For the next 20 minutes, I could not get passed it. I kept wiping my nose, checking my teeth with my tongue, I took my hair down and put it back up...I couldn't move on.

I had decided that after my workout, I would confront him. It would go something like this:
me: "Hey, what were you laughing at before?"
him: "oh, nothing."
me: "You can't do that to people. Especially people who are already self-conscious coming in to the gym."
him: "You're right. I'm stupid. Please forgive me. I was just smiling about your Dharma shirt, I love that show."

I marched (not literally) up to the front desk, ready for an explanation, or an apology...only to find that he had gone.
Next time. Mark my words: we'll have words.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the Dharma shirt! JG

Anonymous said...

I told you...it's dangerous to wear the Dharma shirt to the gym. People forget they don't know you and they stare and chuckle. I'm wearing mine again tonigh, in honor of you!