Sunday, November 12, 2006

Cool vs. Uncool

I wonder if back in caveman times there were "cool kids" and "uncool kids"? I wonder what designated their category? Were the "cool kids" the ones who learned to hunt earlier? Those who knew where to find the good flint?

I know this seems silly, but it had to start somewhere...

I spent this weekend in "big church" with The Walk (JH and HS choir)...and there is a definite distinction between "cool" and "uncool". What makes that difference?
Why can I, years removed from their groups, still sense the divide and even categorize them in my head?

Working with JH students, I can often tell who I would have hung out with if I were their age. I'd like to think that I was in the 3rd group--not "cool", but not "uncool"...somewhere in the middle. I was the choir girl who was too cool for the other choir kids. (Seriously, like there's a difference.)

I also wonder if every kid (or the majority) feels that they are cool. Do the "uncool" groups feel cool in their own heads? There is definitely a kid in the AV club who would be considered the coolest of them...who or what decides this?

I'm looking at a boy right now who is wearing a pink shirt. This, to me, is nerdy. I've also seen boys wearing pink that look cool. Where does this distinction lay?

I'm sure there are very few of you actually reading this still...it is getting pretty long...

For those of you who are...where do you stand? Cool or uncool? Where did you stand in JH and HS?

6 comments:

David Hughes said...

haha such a good conversation we had tonight about this.

I totally know what you mean about the choir girl who is cooler than the other choir girls. Kinda like how Heather's Daughter's Friend is cuter than the others ;)

Matt Jensen said...

Or kind of like how I'm cooler than Jon Keene, but not cooler than Matt Gillen.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm the same that I was in High School/ Jr High. I'm not very cool, but I hang out with the cool kids. I'm second string, and totally o.k. with it.

loisa said...

i think we both know where i stood in hs. and, no, i never thought for a second that eating lunch in the choir room was cool.

Johnny Baker said...

I think the dream spot is the "coolist" of the "uncool."

Plus, usually the kids that care the least about being cool are the coolest.

Didn't uncool become cool a while ago?

Ange said...

I always thought I was cool in JH. However, when I think back, I was such a dork, but I had fun so it doesn't matter. I thought I was cool in HS when I got into trouble. That's probably the reason I got expelled from Capo, I was performing the ultimate cool final act. So lame...