Tuesday, September 05, 2006

This is in no way meant as a reference to the Bon Jovi song.

When waiters or cashiers tell me to "have a nice day", do they really mean it? Or is it simply a space filler?

I picked up my to-go order at Wahoo's yesterday, after I had paid, I was trying to balance my food whilst getting my keys and the woman behind the counter said, "Have a nice day".

As I left, I couldn't help but wonder if she only said that because she felt she had to say something, and "goodbye" wasn't appropriate at that moment. She had already said "thank you", but needed more closure. But I doubt very much that she cared about the remainder of my afternoon and evening.

When I worked at Starbucks, I would use the phrase almost as an impulse. I would hand them the change, or their beverage, and say "Thank you! Have a nice day!". I meant it when I said it to the cute guys (grande caramel latte or iced venti quad vanilla latte)...but I would also say it to the crazies (grande chai with 7 pumps of chai, no water, extra foam and in a blue cup or triple venti nonfat, extra whip, mocha) and I'm not 100% sure if I meant it.

I am beginning to feel the same way when people tell me to "drive safely". I'm thinking that you couldn't come up with anything better to say in that moment. I said it tonight. Because I couldn't think of anything better to say.


What other phrases are used as silence-avoiders?

7 comments:

Cathi said...

I'll come up with some more meaningless phrases later. Right now I'd like to focus on the fact that you still refer to the identity of your customers by their drink orders....after all this time. Genius.

Jason Pogue said...

How about these:

"Take care!"
"Take it easy!"
"Have a good one!"

All three of these are in my goodbye repertoire.

Pogue

By the way - the word I had to type in to leave this comment was TAMPO. (one letter shy of being REALLY embarrassing!)

Eric said...

I think you are reading into this just a little too much. Im sure they really want you to have a nice day.

Matt Jensen said...

My favorite part about this blog..."whilst"

loisa said...

"big gulps, huh? well...see you later."

John Snyder said...

when waitresses or waiters tell me to"Have a nice day." I like to say to them, "Don't tell me what to do." sometimes it goes over as being funny and sometimes they don't like it.

Johnny Baker said...

No they don't mean it. People are jerks.