Saturday, September 30, 2006

My Favorite Restaurants in the World #8

My friend Jason Pogue is headed to London tomorrow...so this is for him.

THE PORTERHOUSE, Covent Garden, London. (There are other locations, but I can only speak for one).

When I visit London, it is easiest to round up all of my friends at once, at The Porterhouse. Not because it is so easy to find a large table (because it is definitely a challenge), but because it is great food, a wide selection of drinks, and a great atmosphere.

Now, I must remind you, smoking is huge in London and apparently everyone who smokes, smokes here. I'll also remind you that I enjoy the smell of cigarette smoke, so it only adds to my love for this pub.

On to the food. The best item on their menu (downloadable here) is a delicious Classic Burger, 100% Irish beef (that even Matt Jensen has difficulty finishing). It comes with chunky chips (steak fries) and is so much meat there is typically a bathroom run involved before leaving.

My vegetarian friends love this place too...so don't feel left out if you don't eat hamburgers. One buddy has ordered the large bowl of mussels, which was an adventure in itself.

What The Porterhouse is known for is its wide selection of beers. (Remember, this is Europe...drinking is part of their culture)...They carry a majority of the world's beers, sorted by country in the drink menu. Most of my friends order a pint of Oyster (brewed with Oysters). Myself: Diet Coke (the most expensive drink on the menu).

If you are ever in London...head to The Porterhouse. Honestly, it is an amazing location (surrounded by shops), and a great local pub (not too many tourists).

Here's a picture of my friend Ryan with his mussels (not muscles), chunky chips and Oyster:

3 comments:

Josh Peters said...

two thumbs up for flaming torches outside.

Matt Jensen said...

Is Ryan wearing a sweatshirt that says "SWF"...as in "Single White Female"?

Annie Smith said...

i think it would be a great thing for you to make a little book/pamphlet for traveling to new york and london.. bc i know that if/when i go to london ill be asking you the best places to eat and go to.