Friday, September 29, 2006

3 Catfish & a Trout (also called Fish and Fancy Clothes)

I purchased a red dress on Monday afternoon and decided to wear it to work today. I apparently did not have enough foresight to think about what my day entailed.

After a very fun breakfast/coffee with a friend, I headed over to Ralph's to complete the shopping list for this weekend's services. Shopping list: 4 trout.

I walked to the back of the store and rang the seafood section bell for assistance. A man, who seemed unhappy about being interrupted during his work in the back, came to my aide.

I am not in the fish-business...I don't know how it's run. I asked the man if the display held the total of their stock or if there were more fish in back. He, very quickly, told me this was all.

So I settled for 3 catfish and 1 trout. I stood as he wrapped the 4 fish in a plastic bag and paper. He handed me each fish as he finished this 2-step process.

But wait, here's the best part. He would pick up the nasty-gutted-seppuku-ed fish with his right hand (covering that glove with guts and blood), weigh it with the left, then wrap it and price it with that gut-covered right hand before handing it to me.

I was not pleased with this decision, and I think he could read that on my face. I thanked him several times, and then proceeded to the check-out counter holding the bloody wrapping of 3 catfish and a trout as far away from my red-dressed body as possible.

Note: Fish and Fancy Clothes do not mix.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Best post yet! SO funny! JG

Eric said...

Did you eat the catfish? It's so good.