Friday, August 11, 2006

Things I Love About My Home:

Here is a list of the 10 things I was the most excited for when I returned home from camp today.

1) Not having to haul all of the shower necessities to and from the shower with me.
I love being able to leave things in the shower and not worry they will go missing or grow spider webs.

2) Not having to use seat covers to go to the bathroom.
To some, this may be insignificant, but to me it is wonderful.

3) Not having to touch dirty things after washing my hands.
As a budding germaphobe, I have to admit, the idea of washing my hands in a sink used by 90 junior high girls makes me
sick. I washed my hands in my home today with hot water, lots of soap, and an actual towel (no more wiping it on paper towels--with dispenser handles that are just as dirty as my pre-washed hands).

4) Not having to brush my teeth in a sink that is filled with other people's hair.
I think this one speaks for itself. No germ fears required.

5) Not carrying around the entire camp's worth of dust in my nasal cavities.
I know this is a total junior high observation, but in that much dirt, there is no way anything clear or white comes out of your nostrils.

6) Having water pressure more powerful than someone spitting at me.
If my shower and your shower got in a fight...mine would win, everytime. We have amazing water pressure in my house. (I know I already mentioned my shower, but it's that important to me)

7) Not having to listen to 12 other people's thoughts and conversations.
I totally dig camp. Seriously, I do. I really like having all of that time with students. I don't think you can build relationships like that in any other place. But, I like silence too. All I can hear right now is the sound of tapping computer keys. LOVE IT!

8) Not having to wear shoes.
Stepping out of the shower, or off of my bed and not worrying about having half eaten jolly ranchers or wet bathing suits in my path: priceless.

9) Not having to eat camp food.
I'll admit, the rest of my list may be high-maintenance...and borderline OCD, but you can get behind this one. One night we ate beans that tasted (not smelled, tasted) like ashes.

10) Being somewhat attached to society.
I missed the blogger. I love to read the posts of my friends each night. I like to check my email several times a day...and post comments on myspace at will.


All in all, camp was great. I had 12 of the most low-maintenance girls in the history of youth ministry. We laughed a ton, slept for 8 hours every night, and had some pretty deep biblical discussions. (One girl's response to "What will you take away from camp?" was "I will take away that Christianity is more than I thought it was. It's more than just believing in God...more than even believing in Jesus. I need to take steps to grow closer to Him and live like Him.") Pretty cool from a 12-year old girl.

3 comments:

Matt Jensen said...

nice...real nice...That's great that you had such a wise 7th grader in your cabin...as for the germ thing...you most definitly are OCD.

Unknown said...

Welcome home, guys! Yeah! JG

Cathi said...

Ummm, i'm just going to consider it a grose oversight that I'm not included as one of the things you love about home. And in case you've forgotten how much you love me...i'm happy to remind you. Coffee? Lunch? Dinner? Your call.