Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My Word(s) for 2014

I had heard of the tradition where people choose {or are given by God} a word for the year.
To be honest, I was a little eye-rolly {an obviously made-up term, but accurate, nonetheless} about it in years past, mostly because I didn't really understand it.

On my birthday, last year {October 2012}, I heard God say some pretty clear statements of what the next year would hold for me...for my growth.

And, this year {2013}, on my birthday, as I reflected on all that had passed, all that had been reconciled, all of the despair that had been replaced with joy, I wept and thanked God for those sentences that had been so BIG and cryptic at the start of the year, and so rich and incredibly meaningful at the end.

Though I heard a few more sentences on my birthday this year--and believe that, on my drive to work on October 24, 2014, I will be in tears again as I reflect on the ways God's presence and provision has manifested in my life--I hesitantly prayed for a few words that would be a glimpse of what 2014 will hold for me.

And, in the listening, I heard


I could try and explain what I think these words will mean, but I know that whatever I write here will pale in comparison to all that God will do this year.

I mean, it's only January 15th and I already feel like my life has been really wonderfully shaken up.

I am eagerly anticipating all of the goodness, growth, healing, mercy, and laughter
that will come from so many painful steps, awkward conversations, vulnerable confessions, tearful prayers, and honest friendships.


Brendon Wayne said...

That's the spirit!
-Expatriate Tax Services

sirnorm1 said...

Thank you for your post.

I have been meditating on Mat:25:14-30 concerning the talents. I have heard these words,(Meaningful work) in my spirit many time this week.
I have started asking myself if what I am doing is meaningful as to what God has put in my heart.