Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Abandonment Issues

I receive three to four emails from Fast Company each day, on the recommendation of my friend Stan. Stan has been a worship leader for a very long time, he is one of the most authentic and hilarious people around. It is an honor to work with him and learn from him at Mariners Church.

Stan often begins stories with the caveat, "If you've heard this one, don't stop me, I like telling it!"And so, obviously, he's one of the greats--and when he tells you to do something, you do it.

And, thus, I have begun to receive these daily Fast Company emails with articles on a variety of topics.

Last week, I opened this link and was eerily fascinated by these Dioramas of A Post-Apocalyptic World. I scrolled through the slideshow several times, each time feeling more and more unsettled--as if I were being pulled deeper in to the Twilight Zone. And yet, I couldn't look away; the details, the creativity--it's really captivating.



Yesterday, I received an email from another friend with a link to this article: Abandoned Amusement Parks: terrifying (and also kinda cool).



Which reminded me of this collection I had seen a few weeks ago: 30 of the Most Beautiful Abandoned Places and Modern Ruins. I may have added a few of these to my list of places to visit--though I would definitely have to make sure to visit in the daytime.



Each of these links are worth a bit of your time. Click through and check out the amazing (and super creepy) photos of sites to see. (Francesco Mugnai has a series called Abandoned Places, collections ranging from abandoned hotels to shipwrecks. They are hauntingly beautiful.)

1 comment:

Julie Hibbard said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE abandoned places--especially amusement parks! I love to see photos of old houses that were abandoned or cars that have trees growing in them or...
I will be going through all of these websites.
LOVE them!