Friday, September 26, 2008

Small Luxuries

I am realizing more and more about myself through this trip in Kenya.
In the last week, I've been making (in my mind) a short list of things I love...small luxuries that I took for granted in America, but now seem to be things that I would almost say are "non-negotiable" for my life in America.

* Magazines: I love reading magazines: Vogue, Vanity Fair, Harper's Bazaar, Entertainment Weekly, People...I miss them

* Window shopping: I don't need to buy...I just like to look. Last night I looked at Urban Outfitters.com, now I'm on Anthropologie.com...I don't need any of this stuff, I can hardly afford anything at Anthropologie, I just miss looking around the store at all of the pretty things. (This applies to Target, too)

* Bookstores: Again, I don't need to buy, I just miss the smell of new books.

* Starbucks: Fine, judge me. I just like sugary coffee...

* Big, comfy couches: Right now I am sitting in two chairs pushed together to be a couch...we have a couch, but it's super hard...I would love, love to be sitting on my over-stuffed purple couch right now.

* Carpet: I like to lay on the floor...I love to spread out my stuff and even nap on the ground...we have a painted cement floor here and I still lay on the ground, but not as much since it's not-so-comfortable and kinda dirty...

* Texting: I love texting...and I totally, totally miss being able to text people during awkward situations or boring meetings...

* Phone Internet: I love to look things up...and I have to remember to come home and look them up without my phone Google...I know, what an inconvenience.

* Alone Time: Most people see me as an extrovert...but I am definitely becoming an introvert. I am so much more recharged by quiet, alone time than I am by large groups.

* Dresses and heels: I have worn jeans and a T-Shirt pretty much everyday since we've been here...I do have one or two skirts that are thrown-in to the mix, but still with T-Shirts...I have come to notice that I am sad not to have dresses to wear...oh, and another but tennis shoes and flip-flops.

I'm sure I'll think of more...this is just a start.

3 comments:

PETE Di LALLO said...

Gotta be tough our there in the jungle...I would miss most of these things too...

Mags: none of yours but would miss Golf Digest, Time Mag and National Geographic (you're living in National Geo Land) Love LA Times for sports and comics...

Not a window shopper...Bum is tho, I call her a consumer...

Bookstores: couldn't live without them...a special alone-time place...no interruptions and no one talking at me...sweet!!!!
Reading goes without saying...

Starbucks: ditto, no sugar...

Comfy couches: love 'em

Carpets: yesssiree

Texting: ever since you thought me I can't stop...it's the best

Phone Internet: nothing except ESPN sports...I can wait till I get home or office...

Dresses and heals: not telling except for tennis shoes...

Alone time: yup, in my car with Ipod blasting away...sometimes sports radio shows...a few talk shoes...

Playing golf: MAN!!!it's my therapy...

I loved this post and can't wait for part II...

luvya

Alyssa said...

i should send you some 'donuts coffee, talk about sugary

I MISS YOU!!!

Erin Brady said...

I love the smell of new books too :) And the sound they make the first time they are opened, the little crack. Oh, the little things that make me happy.