Thursday, May 01, 2008

Equality...

Today was the National Day of Prayer (I'm not 100% sure how I feel about the lack of prefix "inter-", but I think that's another subject).

The Saddleback staff began the day by meeting together to pray in various ways (standing, kneeling, arms raised--in groups of three) and for an assortment of things (leaders, the war, each other).

Pastor Gerald shared a few verses (from 2 Chronicles, Exodus, 1 Kings) and then said something that repeated in my head all day. I wrote it down on the back of a pay-stub in my purse.

"All men are created equal. When our eyes meet the eyes of another, I pray that we would remember that this is a person that You love. You created. And Jesus died for."

How often I forget that "equality" goes beyond integration in the school systems, beyond voting rights...to the right to peace, to unconditional love, to salvation.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."

2 comments:

P.E.A.S.E. Plan 2.0 said...

This is a good blog, but the parantehtical thought in your first sentence is what stood out to me this morning ... I think I'm more confused than ever by how a Christian simultaneously exists as the member of a nation ... and it bothers me that only a few people out there seem to be asking that question.

Julie Hibbard said...

It always comes down to the top two:
1. Love Him
2. Love others

Great post