Sunday, January 27, 2008

My New York Va-KATE-tion, Day Five

We have had such a fun trip so far, but it seems like the days are just getting better.

We spent most of the day in SoHo. We had lunch at the great place called Mercer. The inside was brick and cement. It was supposed to be hip and trendy...I'd say they are succeeding...they served my french fries in a little garden pot...totally in. (While walking around, we saw Constantine from American Idol)


After lunch, we met up with Brittany Holladay at Starbucks. We sat and chatted a bit...then Katie was cold, so she went to put her scarf on and this man thought we were leaving so he said, "Oh, you're leaving!" and we looked puzzled, but then decided we might as well leave.

We walked around town shopping (Old Navy, American Apparel, Anthropologie) and then, on the way back to the subway, saw a huge photo shoot going on...all these guys painted black...it was very Rolling Stones (evidently, I'm reading some Chuck Klosterman)...and found the Paul Frank store.

Katie is a voracious reader, so she needed to stop and buy a few new books. We went to The Strand. (The slogan is "18 Miles of Books"). We spent almost an hour looking around. Brittany bought nothing. I bought a button (for my mom). Katie bought three books and a bag.

We decided that we should go back to Max Brenner. For four reasons: (1) Brittany said she's been wanting to go there for a while (2) she needs to do a scouting trip for when Sue comes to visit (3) we only really tried one dessert and we should try a few more (4) we were hungry.

So...second trip in two days. We had: Caesar Salad, Minestrone Soup, a pulled-pork crepe...and a few desserts: Chocolate-Peanut Butter Concoction (which I would marry, given the chance), a Chocolate-Banana Pizza (which David and Luke should add to their Pizza Parlor menu), and more "roast your own marshmallow" fondue (which they served with banana bread...seriously?), and an Oreo milkshake (which was, in actuality, milk with Oreos in it, shaken up--Sorry, Dom).

Way too full, we headed back to the hotel to pick up my computer...thinking we'd just take a quick trip to the 24-hour Apple Store and have everything fixed. I was unaware that you need an appointment for the Genius Bar...so, three hours later (after checking emails, searching Amazon.com, playing a game of Spit, making friends with a guy named Jimmy, talking about what tattoos to get...) it was my turn. We had a really friendly "genius" who helped us out very quickly...One new power cord later, and we're good to go.

So...now you are all caught up on our trip...So, how are things with you?

4 comments:

David Hughes said...

hahaha...good ol' dom loves his oreo shakes...once you said oreo shake I knew a dom reference was coming :)

we should make oreo shakes at your house with dom some night!! that sounds almost as delightful as alice cooks whatever jaime and david want night :)

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

I LOVE reading these....I've never been to New York...this makes me want to go with a very cool friend!

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

ohh and I forgot....ewwwww Constantine.

Heather McTaggart said...

I love this trip we are on...I mean YOU are on! It's fun to live it through you and your blogs! One thing you are missing...WHERE are the pics of Brittany? She is missed, we need to see her in her new life!!