Monday, November 05, 2007

Irrational Fear #4

Here are the previous irrational fears. #1...#2...#3

And now, #4.

I have a terrible fear of driving over bridges. I will drive on them, but almost every time that I do, I think about it collapsing. I know the odds are about a hundred million to one that it will actually happen (I looked for the actual number, but could not find it), but I am always a little scared.

I think, what if this bridge broke in half? What if there was an earthquake? How far would I fall? Would other cars fall on top of mine? What would happen then? How do I get back up to where I am now?

Oh yikes.

What's worse than driving over a bridge? Stopping on one...oh man, that just really makes for bad odds...so much more time spent there waiting to fall...

Please note the fact that this is called "Irrational Fear"...I'm well aware of the fact that this is a stupid thing to fear...but I think about it...and if it ever happens, I won't be completely unprepared and in shock, since I will have been thinking about it and planning my escape for years.

2 comments:

Heather McTaggart said...

ME TOO!!! Serious fear, I will drive AROUND just to avoid bridges! I lived in San Fran for 6 years and had to drive on the Golden Gate Bridge almost daily and thought I would die! I can't get over that "I am going to throw up" feeling EVERY TIME! Reading your blog about this makes my tummy hurt bad! TRUE FEAR, I think EVERYONE has it and they just don't admit it!

Heather Leith said...

i will admit to this fear. i hatehatehate bridges. especially rickety ones you have to WALK over.