Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Music of My Heart

I've had a few conversations in the past few days about music...

Why is it that I (I'd like to say 'we' as in everyone feels this way, but it's probably just me) feel like approval of my musical choices ultimately equates to an approval of me? If you dislike my music, I feel you may end up disliking me...

I know this seems silly, but I think I react similarly to others.

If you were to tell me that your favorite all-time album is something by Carman, or Blink-182, I would probably judge. I would think, oh...I guess we don't have much in common...too bad.

I think I have good taste in music--doesn't everyone think this about themselves? (oh, "good music" is such a subjective term). So when I say "you should listen to this" and someone nods and walks away, I'm heart-broken...somehow they have just shattered my hope for a great musical connection.

Okay, to be completely honest, I would only de-friend based on musical taste if one were to say that he/she hates Queen...That's an unforgivable opinion.

2 comments:

Heather Leith said...

oh my goodness. Carmen is my #1 childhood memory. I had his CD: Carman 4 Kidz: The Hitz. My brother even met him when we went to his concert.

...so do you hate me?

matt said...

I've wondered about how close people attach musical taste and whether they're a worthwhile person or not, and can't figure it out either. As for me, cheesy pop is awesome, but not all. Britney Spears-yes, Christina Aguilera-no. N'SYNC-yes, Backstreet Boys-no.