Saturday, June 02, 2007

Another Word I Dislike

This is becoming quite a list...

I am really bothered by the word weird.

It is okay to use weird in reference to a creepy movie or space aliens.

It is not okay to use the word in reference to someone or something that you don't understand...someone or something that is different from you...someone or something that makes you feel uncomfortable.

It is silly to travel to another country and say the culture (traditions, food, language, clothing, church styles, etc.) is weird. Weird is not the correct word here; use another word to express what you are actually feeling. Some suggestions: "This experience was __________" interesting, different, unexpected, intriguing, curious, upsetting, challenging, uncomfortable...

Also,

It is rude (and, please hear me, this is something I am trying to fix in my own head) to judge someone based solely on a handful of conversations you've had and then describe him or her as weird. He or she simply does not fit the description of what you would deem acceptable or normal. This is, in no way, meant to sound as though you have to get along with everyone and be best friends, but what I am saying is that your words can cause others to form a prejudice against that person; a person that they could learn to love, teach, learn from.

I know I'm on a soapbox...I have heard this word quite a few times recently and just wanted to voice my opinion.

4 comments:

Kate E said...

Personally...I like the word bizarre. I especially like to say it with a canadian or midwestern accent. Also, Bizarre makes me think of the circus. Apologies for any mispelled words...I know you hate that.

PS I rule at commnents now! Ah thank you.

Julie Hibbard said...

This post reminds me of when Lucy and Ethel were taking etiquette lessons and the teacher says,
"There are two words you will NEVER say. One is swell and the other is lousy."
Lucy says, "Ok, give us the swell one first and save the lousy one for later."

Allie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PETE Di LALLO said...

Geez Alli...switch to decaf...