Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Kenya 07--Whoo!

Katie, Abby and I have a tradition in which we yell "Kenya 2005" or "Kenya 07" and then everyone else yells "Whoo!" Two years ago, it was difficult to get Abby to play...this year, she was ready--British accent and all. Let me tell you, hearing Ron yell a high-pitched "Whoo" was one of my favorite things.

Here are a few photos from the trip. I took one picture on the first day, and then the other 120 on the last three days. Everything else was taken on the cameras of others. (I'm hoping to have more to post over time.)

Here we are on Day 1. We were in Van 2 with our driver, Davis. (See picture 2)
It was the 6 of us most of the time. Through in a little Josh Garrett, and sprinkle a few others...and that's what made us the most fun van in Kitale.
Honestly, a few drivers asked us to ride in their van...because we were the most fun!


Here is our driver, Davis. He was the best. We made up a song about him and sang it each day. I think the moment that I knew I loved him was when he joined in on the singing of "Un-Break My Heart" by Toni Braxton. How could one not love a man who knows T. Braxton hits from 1996? I took a few pictures with him, but this is my favorite.


Here's my friend Josh. We called him "Jitu" (pronounced: G-2) which means "giant" in Swahili. He was a part of all 3 trips, spending a total of 6 weeks in Kenya. The kids had taken to calling him Jitu and we stole the idea from them.


Josh decided to spend some time at the pool during our stay at the Masai Mara. Abby offered him some sunscreen, but he opted for skin cancer (his words, not mine).


We spent two days on a game drive, and were able to see some amazing animals up-close. I took few photos on those days because two guys with great cameras were taking dozens...I'll post those later. But here is my favorite photo from those two days:


I am hoping to piece a Top Ten Kenya 07 Moments together in the next few days...I'm sure this won't be the end of the stories.

6 comments:

Josh Peters said...

i don't know what caused me to choke on my cereal more this morning... my incessant singing of Tony Braxton or Josh's flesh

Josh Peters said...

btw - welcome home!

Julie Hibbard said...

Please don't ever post a picture of my stomach! :)
GREAT pictures...GREAT stories! So good to have you back too!

Unknown said...

Spectac.

JG

Christine.Marie said...

I am so glad that you are back and safe! I hope you are going to c-group tonight it has been too long without you!

Brent said...

I love Jitu.