Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I'm Going to Africa...Ken-ya Believe It?

That never gets old...



I mentioned about a week ago that I'm moving to Kenya...but I didn't explain much. So here it is: (I know this is long, but it's so important to me.)


There are thousands of "street kids" in Kenya. These boys and girls have either been orphaned from diseases, including AIDS, or abandoned, or are simply neglected by their parents. Regardless of reasons, these children wander the streets day and night looking for food, scrounging for change to buy a variety of things--more often than not, inexpensive shoe glue that contains an addictive chemical that makes them high. This high will curb hunger, dull pain, and pass the time. It is a sad little life, but many will never know any different.

Three years ago, an American woman named Lydia had a conversation with a Kenyan man, Jeffrey, about his wildest dreams. He had a desire to open a drop-in centre for the street kids in the city of Kitale, Kenya. Oasis of Hope was formed. (Though the process was much more difficult than this sentence lets on.)

The drop-in centre provided daily breakfast (tea and toast) and lunch (typically a stewish-soup). In between meals, the kids are taught English, Swahili, math, Bible, reading, writing...basic school subjects. After lunch, the kids return to their life on the street...fortunately, now they have full bellies.

In the last three years, Oasis of Hope has grown to over one hundred students. Glue is not allowed in the centre, and many students have decreased (if not completely given up) their glue habit.

In the last year or so, a second "phase" of the plan has been launched; students who show dedication are (over time) placed in to group homes in the community. Each home has 6 same gender kids and are parented by a couple from the local church. The students transfer in to the community school and learn to develop societal skills (in a home, in a family, with siblings) outside of the street mentality they have had, some practically since birth.

There are currently 3 boys homes and 1 girls home. We, on my most recent trip, were able to visit one of the community schools that one boys house attends. The boys who had attended Oasis of Hope met us out front to tell us about their lives: names, ages, and future careers. The answers were amazing...pastor, teacher, doctor, lawyer, President.

What I can't shake is that three years ago, these boys were hopeless. They ate out of dumpsters. Were beaten by the police. Some were sexually abused by passers-by. And now, they have such an unbelievable path ahead of them. To think, some of them may not have lived much longer, and if they had, it would have been in drug-induced haze. Now, they are educated, healthy and happy. All because Jeffery dared to dream.

I want, so badly, to be a part of what they are doing in this centre. These teachers, who are well-educated and fully qualified to work in any other school, choose to be paid nothing so they can be a part of making a difference.

These kids, this community, and ultimately Kenya (President) will be different because of these teachers who are willing to take the time to help.

My plan is simple: spend 6 weeks (mid-Jan to mid-March 2008) in Kenya making connections, nailing down details (where to live, who to work with, etc). Return home and get my ducks in a row...then spend 6 months (mid-Sept 2008 to mid-March 2009) in Kenya working with Oasis of Hope (and potentially Purpose-Driven Academy and the Kitale Prison--which I will write more about later)...

I hope you will join me in prayer for these kids, teachers, and their future...

7 comments:

Josh(ua) Treece said...

Know this: I am so proud of you. I believe in you because I know that you can do anything! They don't even know what's coming...

Brent said...

That's great. You will make a huge difference there.

Cathi said...

This is so great Al,
I'm so excited for you, and for Kenya.

Heather Leith said...

that is so amazing! God will use you in big ways.

Julie Hibbard said...

I love this...and you.
Let me know what I can do to help you make this a dream come true for YOU and for these precious little people.

Josh_ewe_a said...

Oh, BTW, the guy in the back with the yellow hat...yeah, I gave him that hat. He kept asking for it and even though I really enjoyed it, I gave it up. I mean, I can't say no to a sweet Kenyan, can I?

mama oasis said...

Habari Allison...

So...today I had the wild idea of searching on google under "Oasis of Hope" and "Kitale" and was amazed that several sites came up (admittedly most were my own myspace page and the Oasis website) but....I also found THIS!

Thank you for loving Oasis so much. I love the pic of you with Nelson, Brian, Alice and Selah!

Karibu Oasis...you are sooooo welcome to come and work and stay for as long as you want. But, you know the amazing thing? I am making the same plans to figure out how I can be there all the time too! I miss my kids so much. Besides...I have to be there to help Bramwel with his strategy when he is ready to run for President, eh?

Write me...lets pray and plan together....Lydia
(oasisofhope@mac.com)

PS...our webpage is http://web.mac.com/oasisofhope

PPS...The teachers actually DO make a salary. It is important to us to be providing jobs in the community and we have a staff of 10 now!