Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Top Ten Tuesday

My Great-Grandpa died yesterday. I remember being told every Christmas and every birthday that "this will be their last"...and it began to feel as though that would never come. Then yesterday, it happened.

I was boarding my flight home and received a text message from my mom telling me he had died. I didn't know how to react. Do I cry in the plane? Do I text back? Do I tell my mom "sorry" even though it's my relative too?

I don't know how it works. Therefore, in my effort to grieve, I've decided to bump up the Thursday Top Ten List...and make a Top Ten Memories of my Grandpa John.

10. He traveled to America, by boat, through Ellis Island...he helped me with a few reports when I was in school
9. "Did you eat? Do you want a sandwich?"
8. "Sit down. How's your mom?" (5 minutes pass) "So, how's your mom?"
7. "John...oh that's a good name you got there"
6. *Light whistling* "Gramps, turn down your hearing aid"
5. "Kiss me right here on the cheek"
4. "How do you say refrigerator in Italian?"
3. "You know you're getting prettier each time I see you"
2. "Frankie and Johnny were sweethearts"
1. "Hey, what you say little monkey?"


I loved my great-grandpa...even if he was a perve in the last year.
It's weird to think that he won't be around for another Christmas or birthday...

3 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

Hey, I tell the jokes...
:)
This is a great tribute. Thanks.
Happy Valentine's Day...
I love you so much!

Alanna Moine said...

#5 is my favorite...because I was a victim of that little trick of his :)

Jen Panunzio said...

So sorry to hear the news. I remember him from your last birthday at Fuddruckers, he was so cute!