Wednesday, December 06, 2006

"Welcome to Our World"

There are few things that bother me more than people posting song lyrics.
Having said that, I hope it conveys the importance of these words, to my heart.
This Christmas season, I have had the most difficult time listening to these lyrics and not bursting in to tears.
In fact, as I write this now, I can not help but weap. Heavy, shoulder-shaking, tears.

Why? Why did God care so much to do this? How could he send this tiny baby, knowing the pain and suffering He would go through? I know why...I guess what I don't understand is how.

What gets me the most is this...Me, knowing all of this: the sacrifice, the bloodshed, the wounds...why can't I do my part? Why can't I be so overwhelmingly grateful for this act that I can't keep my mouth shut about it...I can't stand to be out of His presence...I don't want to break His heart anymore? Why can't I pull it together and really live to be someone that He can be proud of? Someone who draws others to Him?

How can He still want to love me even with all of my yuck? There are times when I am too ashamed of the things I've said or done to even feel like I can go back to Him. I know I can. But I think that sometimes, knowing that He'll love me no matter what makes the shame of disappointing Him even heavier.

I know that as you read these lyrics, if you are even still reading, you will not feel the same depth of what I am feeling now. But, I hope that your heart is moved, even a tiny bit. The lines in bold are those that usually cause me to sing in only a whisper as my eyes fill.


Tears are falling, hearts are breaking
How we need to hear from God
You've been promised, we've been waiting
Welcome Holy Child.

Hope that you don't mind our manger,
How I wish we would have known.
But long-awaited, Holy stranger,
make Yourself at home

Bring your peace into our violence
Bid our hungry souls be filled.
Word now breaking heaven's silence
Welcome to our world

Fragile fingers sent to heal us
Tender brow prepared for thorns
Tiny heart whose blood will save us
Unto us is born

Wrap our injured flesh around You
Breathe our air and walk our sod
Rob our sin and make us holy
Perfect Son of God

1 comment:

loisa said...

i am also irritated by lyrics in blogs...i am also guilty of it. but i love this entry...thanks for it.