Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Me and Tom Hanks: M.F.E.O.

I have a strong feeling that Hollywood stars play characters that are remarkably close to their own personas.
**I don't necessarily think that every feature and opinion of the character needs to reflect the actor's, but I do think that generally, they lean toward like-minded, like-tempered roles.**

Take Tom Hanks, for instance. He plays calm, light-hearted, somewhat romantic, generally even-keeled roles. I would imagine that he, in "real life", is similar to his "reel life" counterparts. Please note that my above statement would apply to his role in Philadelphia (he probably does not have AIDS) and his role in Toy Story (1 & 2), (he is not a toy cowboy). However, if you look at the line of characters he plays (Tom Hanks) a majority are down-to-earth, loveable guys.

(For one minute set aside the fact that my favorite movie ever is Sleepless in Seattle...) Judging by the movies he chooses to star in, I think I could be friends with Tom Hanks. (and his wife Rita Wilson) Along these same lines, Reese Witherspoon, Courtney Cox, Matthew McConaughey, Meg Ryan, John Corbett, Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson could also be my friends (no pun intended for Courtney Cox). Oh, and Sarah Jessica Parker.

If my hypothesis proves true, there are some other people who are probably crazy in reality: Kevin Spacey (always plays the bad guy--and plays it VERY well--maybe he's a cuckoo in real life?), Christopher Walken, Anthony Hopkins...I'm sure Josh Treece could name dozens more.

Let's take it one step further. Let's say I'm right in my assumption. So, here are some Hollywood stars that choose to be slutty in movies. Does their life echo these cinematic displays? Amanda Peet (always naked in movies), Jennifer Aniston (I hate to say it, but she's made some slutty choices lately), Sharon Stone (I've never actually seen anything she's been in, but she always looks slutty at awards shows)...

Say what you would like, but I'm sticking to my guns. I think you only choose to portray people like yourself. Since you draw from your own life, it makes things easier if you have something in common with the character. Spacey must think, I would love to create an island out of crystals and kill Superman. Perfect role...

Meg Ryan thinks: I really like kissing bald men and crying when my husband dies...Bingo!

6 comments:

Josh(ua) Treece said...

What does MFEO mean?

Allison said...

Come on, Josh!
Made For Each Other.

Eric said...

Allison, I totally understand what you are talking about. Sleeples in Seattle is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Josh(ua) Treece said...

What if you put Puddles' two fave movies together: While You Were Sleepless in Seattle

Matt Jensen said...

puddles...Sleepless in Seattle?...really?...have you not seen "Three Ninjas Kick Back!"

Mike Lovato said...

I'm very glad you explained what MFEO was. I was trying to figure it out last night.